"I got wheels, I got cutter spray,
and a healthy sense of worth.
Half of me is the gasoline,
but the other half's the surf."

As the lovely Ezra croons, as much of a city kid I may be, I will always crave the peace and simplicity of summer at the beach. Where is this going? Vampire Weekend just released their new music video for what I'm guessing will be their new single, Giving Up the Gun. It's a series of tennis matches in a white room between our ginger-haired protagonist and her many celebrity opponents. It really is a fabulous video and allot of fun to watch, beside the fact that the song, and album is amazingly relaxing and reminiscent of a sunny beach in my dreams.

Beyond my subtle adoration of the quartet, the video is peppered with fantastic tennis clothing. I always forget how much I love the pleated skirts and polos. Tennis players have such an air of simple sophistication that not many athletes have. Their sport is up there with Polo and croquet as one of England's snobby but oh so enviable hobbies. So I snagged some of the best outfits from the video to express my desire for an entirely tennis wardrobe come spring time. I am extremely against this ugly morbid utilitarian look that designers are pushing on us. Give me colorful tennis skirts or give me nudity!


This is the full outfit, white hoodie, pleated skirt and polo. I give honorable mention to how she dressed in all red instead of the white ensemble. Its probably how I would do it considering I can't wear all white all summer long. Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE how she has tights on. Also red.


Joe Jonas makes his cameo here, and he's surprisingly not obnoxious with a solid sense of humor. He loses to our protagonist, and does so in a nice striped twist on a mens tennis polo. The wrist and head bands are appreciated as well.

What tennis outfit would be complete without the transparent colored visor? This woman proves bigger is better and although she also lost, she did so in style.


Here we have the techo tennis ensemble consisting of a white body suit. There are shoulder pad-esque things that aren't really visible in this resolution. If Daft Punk were to really play tennis, I'm sure they wouldn't wear anything else. I'll pass on the body suit though, I just thought this picture was worth sharing.


Ah, Jake Gyllenhaal and his short shorts. He played with a flask of whiskey and a cocky attitude to match his incredibly cool outfit. The primary colors seem to be a trend in this video and I like it.


Her tennis outfit is the usual white on white, but she adds her red pop of color in her Keds and her headband. I also condone the blown out hair as a summer style. My hair does that naturally so I'll embrace any trend that requires little effort. Here's a closer look at our fierce competitor, who nearly beats our protagonist.

Stunning.



Yes, it's Lil' John himself in a straw panama hat and double breasted blazer. He exemplifies the tennis observer's attire which is equally important. When the camera's pan to you sitting in the stands, you don't want to look dowdy.

Our protagonist at last! She, again, wears all red and her skirt seems to have a clasp of sorts on her left hip that interests me. I couldn't, dispite internet sleuthing, find a tennis skirt that long or that color, or any color for that matter. The length is what makes it so wearable as more than just a tennis outfit. Below are her Keds, that I normally abhor, but in this case, they work superbly.





Tennis for the win!